Sunday, March 11, 2012

MAC Week 2: To Publish or Present?

When I first read this assignment and heard it talked about in the first Wimba session: I do believe I had heart palpations.  What!?! I have to either write another paper or I have to stand up in front of people and present!  Neither option sounded like one I really wanted to partake in.
However, after my heart stopped with the extra beats and I took a couple of breaths...I thought about the possibilities.

What if I publish?
The thought of writing a 2000 word APA paper is very daunting.  The perfectionist that I am, pouring myself over the paper making sure that each word is correct.  On the upside, write a paper is an individual task.  I would work on my paper at home and talk about it with my classmates.

What if I present?
I believe the idea of standing up in front of my peers and talking actually terrifies me.  I have never been any good at that.  I've talked at a faculty meeting and you could hear my voice shaking.  Once, I had to talk at a school board me and I could see myself shaking on a recording.  So that right there is a very large CON to presenting.  On the other hand, this program has taken me out of my comfort zone and forced me to look at and do things that I've never done before.  Presenting would be one more push to make me step outside of myself and work harder.

What is my decision?
As much as I would like to push myself to try something different with presenting, I believe that I am going to choose to publish.  I need to work on speaking in front of smaller groups of my peers before I move onto a conference type atmosphere.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent analysis of what might best work for you. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete