Saturday, March 3, 2012

MAC Week 1: Classmate Response

Below is my response to Hunter Menning's blog: Blogged on Phonics

http://www.bloggedonphonics.blogspot.com/2012/03/trademark-trifecta.html

Hunter's post:
Ok, how do we measure up in the copyright world? When I think of copyrights, I think of honor and trust. I respect people and their creations, because I hope that others respect my original works. I have submitted hundreds of items to be copyrighted and have studied these laws for several years. Copyrights give a creator the ability to enforce or restrict others from using something that the creator has previously invented. I love when someone creates something novel – wow, that alone, is what life is about. Original thought instead of others’ thoughts intrigues me. I have sat in meetings and heard people who only spout lots and lots of other people’s ideas from books that they have read. They are impressive and quite amazing sometimes; however, they are not original ideas. I am thankful for those who have unique and solid opinions. I appreciate those who birth new concepts – patentable, trademarkable, and copyrightable! Wow, I crave a conversation with them. Talks like that cause an hour or two to go by and it only seems like ten minutes. I believe that we should help protect each other’s work. We should report infringement to help the authors of the world. Originally inspired authors are very rare and valuable. It bothers me to find out that hit, star writers sometimes only get about 1% of the income from their works. That is because entrepreneurs get involved and take the lion’s share of the income. I guess 1% is better than 0% if the project would not have been published for anyone to see, hear, or experience it. The truth is that I tend to hang out with the creators more than the business types. What would I be like if I reversed that? Wow, which one do you hang out with more?


My Response:
Hunter, out of the hundreds of things you have submitted, have all of them received copyright? I don't mind saying that I feel completely at a loss in this subject. After starting Full Sail was the first time that I every truly looked into copyright. I was always aware of copyright, but never fully understood all of it.
I, too, appreciate original thoughts and works. I can also see the use that the typical public can get from those original works.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Stephanie,
    Something happened in my blog and your comment has vanished. Can you please re-paste it in and I'll answer you? Thanks very much. - Hunter

    ReplyDelete