Monday, August 8, 2011

BP2_Slide

Slide is a slide show and picture tool where students can upload images and use their creativity to present them.  One fun feature is the funpix:



Funpix allows students to upload a photo and add visual elements to it; such as all over movement as the rain drops.  Or one could add a single movement, as in the changing color star.  The application offered a range of "stickers" for someone to choose from as well as the movement themes.  It took me about five minutes to create the picture of my son, only because I was very indecisive on the "stickers" I wanted to use.

The other feature that I really enjoyed was the slideshow:




In this feature, a student could upload a series of related photos and use the artistic buttons to create an impressive slideshow.  Once the photos were uploaded, I was able to add captions to each individual photo and pick how I wanted them appear on the screen.  Once again, there were many different themes and motions that I could choose from.  

It was very easy to navigate through the application and create the images.  I think that my second grade students could use this to present images for various projects in our classroom.  It could even be used to create a story from their scanned or computer created images.

There were two other features that I saw that could be useful in the classroom.  
The first is Skins for YouTube videos.  Once you upload a video, you can add many of the different surrounds and post to YouTube.

The second feature was a Guestbook.  I liked this feature, because we often do a Flat Stanley Unit, where we get postcards and pictures of our Flat Stanleys while they travel the country (and often the world).  Our family and friends would be able to post their pictures to the guestbook as well as their narrative.  This would make this project more engaging because families can view the posts from home and not have to wait until they can make it into the classroom to see the bulletin board. A teacher could also use this once Pen Pals have been established.  It allows students to post both pictures and video to the guestbook.

Overall, I believe that Slide.com will be an excellent resource in the classroom.  I can't wait to try the projects that I listed here.  Please let me know if you experiment with this application and how it turns out for you! 

1 comment:

  1. Stephanie,

    Slide.com looks like an amazing resource!!! Most of my students are well versed in power point and love creating them. Slide.com looks like an awesome way to spice up a power point. I could really see my students enjoying the mess out of all the different features that you spoke about. Especially the my funpix where they could add visual elements and movement to their photos. I can't wait to share this with my kids and just sit back and watch their brains go to work!!
    A teacher that I interned with while I was at UCF also did a Flat Stanley project and the students loved it. Very memorable experience for me. From everything I have seen of yours so far it seems like your students must have an amazing time in your class!!! Way to go!!!

    ReplyDelete